Grand Seiko Corporation of America and Seiko Watch Corporation offer online resources that provide product-related information and services, as well as corporate news, and other information related to our business.
The protection of personal data, as well as compliance with privacy and data protection laws and regulations, is important to our organization and affiliates. We aim to ensure the privacy rights of our consumers, business contacts, and employees when we handle information about them.
This Policy only applies to personal data collected through the www.grand-seiko.com/us-en website or by third parties acting for and on our behalf as data processors and further processed for the purposes specified herein. This Policy does not apply to personal data collected from offline resources and communications. This Policy also does not apply to third-party online resources to which our websites may link, where we do not control the content or the privacy practices of such resources.
As referred to in this Policy, references to "us," "we," "our," and "SEIKO" generally means Grand Seiko Corporation of America and Seiko Watch Corporation (these can include affiliates of SEIKO depending on the contexts).
Who are we?
Grand Seiko Corporation of America located at 1111 MacArthur Boulevard, Mahwah, New Jersey, 07430, United States of America and Seiko Watch Corporation located at 26-1, Ginza 1-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-8118, Japan will act as a data controller and will process your personal data collected through our websites.
Collection of Your Personal Data
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including, without limitation, information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information”);
- That is about you but individually does not identify you; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and your usage details relative to our Website.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us; and
- Automatically as you, navigate through the Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide to us by filling in forms on our Website;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us; and
- Your search queries and inquires on the Website.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with us through our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including, without limitation, traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and content that you access and use on the Website; and
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The information we collect automatically does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests;
- Speed up your searches; and
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Cookies (or browser cookies).
- Flash Cookies.
- Web Beacons.
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
The Reason Why We Collect, Use and Share Your Personal Data
We process your personal data to the extent permitted or required under applicable laws, for the following purposes:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To (i) provide you with promotional information on SEIKO's products and services, (ii) carry out promotional activities (including various sweepstakes and membership services) to you, (iii) send to you invitations to promotional events, (iv) invite you to participate in surveys and market research activities, and (v) analyze your interests to improve SEIKO's products and services (jointly "Marketing Purposes")
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
When disclosing your opinions and photos on our website, we will only post information that is appropriate in light of this Policy after obtaining your consent. We may also process your personal data to comply with and enforce our rights and perform our obligations under applicable laws.
You can also refuse to provide your personal data to us. However, if you do not provide your data, this can have an effect on your use of website or some features on our websites may not fully function. We may also use your information to contact you about our own goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please notify us using the contact methods provided in this Policy.
Share of Your Personal Data with Third Parties
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this Policy
SEIKO group Affiliates: SEIKO may share your personal data among SEIKO group affiliates in order to administer SEIKO's services and products, provide you with customer support, process payments, understand your preferences, send you information about products and services that may be of interest to you and conduct the other activities described in this Policy.
Service providers: We use other companies, agents or contractors to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of the SEIKO services and products to you. We may share personal data with the following categories of service provider:
- SEIKO's distributors
- infrastructure and IT service providers, including for email archiving
- marketing, advertising and communications agencies
- accounting auditors
- To various advisers for the following purposes:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; and
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Seiko, its customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
In the course of providing such services, these service providers may have access to your personal data. However, we will only provide our service providers with personal data which is necessary for them to perform their services, and we require them not to use your information for any other purpose. We will use our best efforts to ensure that all our service providers keep your personal data secure.
Third parties permitted by law: In certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation (for example, we may be required to disclose personal data to the police, regulators, government agencies or to judicial or administrative authorities).
We may also disclose your personal data to third parties where disclosure is both legally permissible and necessary to protect or defend our rights, matters of national security, law enforcement, to enforce our contracts or protect your rights or those of the public.
Third parties connected with business transfers: We may transfer your personal data to third parties in connection with a reorganization, restructuring, merger or acquisition or transfer of assets, provided that the receiving party agrees to treat your personal data in a manner consistent with this Policy.
We will not sell your personal data to third parties.
Please note our websites may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our business contacts or affiliates. Please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and we have no control over how they may use your personal data. You should check the privacy policies of third party websites before you submit any personal data to them.
Transfer of Personal Data Outside Your Country
Your personal data may be transferred to and processed outside of the country you are located by SEIKO group affiliates and our service providers. We will take all steps that are reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy as well as applicable data protection laws.
Protection of Your Personal Data
We have complied strictly with rules for handling of personal data, according to its sensitivity, as well as to implement technical and organizational security measures to protect personal data in our possession from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Such measures include administrative, technical and physical safeguards, for example, limiting access to personal data only to employees and authorized service providers who need to know such information for the purposes described in this Policy.
Protection of the Privacy of Children
Our Website is not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information to us on this Website, including, without limitation, your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe, we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California residents under 16 years of age may have additional rights regarding the collection and sale of their personal information. Please see the section titled “Privacy Notice for California Residents” for more information.
You can utilize the following mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from Seiko. If you do not wish to have your email address/contact information used by Seiko to promote our own or third parties' products or services, you can opt-out by notifying us using the contact methods provided in this Policy.If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions. This opt out does not apply to information provided to Seiko as a result of a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience or other transactions.
- Targeted Advertising. If you do not want us to use information that we collect or that you provide to us to deliver advertisements according to our advertisers' target-audience preferences, you can opt-out by notifying us using the contact methods provided in this Policy.
We do not control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising; however, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) on the NAI's website.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see the Section titled “Privacy Notice for California Residents” for more information.
You have the following rights in accordance with applicable laws and regulations:
- Access. You have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you is being processed, and, where that is the case, to request access to the personal data. You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal data undergoing processing.
- Rectification. You have the right to have incomplete or inaccurate personal data that we process about you rectified.
- Erasure. You have the right to request that we delete personal data that we process about you, except we are not obliged to do so if we need to retain such data in order to comply with a legal obligation or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
- Restriction. You have the right to restrict our processing of your personal data where you believe such data to be inaccurate; our processing is unlawful; or that we no longer need to process such data for a particular purpose unless we are not able to delete the data due to a legal or other obligation or because you do not wish for us to delete it.
- Portability. You have the right to obtain personal data we hold about you, in a structured, electronic format, and to transmit such data to another data controller, where this is (1) personal data which you have provided to us, and (2) if we are processing that personal data on the basis of your consent or to perform a contract with you.
- Objection. Where the legal justification for our processing of your personal data is our legitimate interest, you have the right to object to such processing on grounds relating to your particular situation. We will abide by your request unless we have compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests and rights, or if we need to continue to process the data for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
- Withdrawing Consent. If you have consented to our processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, free of charge. This includes where you wish to opt out from marketing messages.
Where you wish to exercise any of these rights, please check the following email@example.com before making contact. For your own privacy and security, we may require evidence of your identity or to be provided with additional information before we are able to act on your request when the information we have is insufficient to accommodate your request. We will attempt to provide any requested information or make requested changes in accordance with applicable laws.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the local personal data protection regulatory authority in accordance with applicable laws if you believe that we have not complied with applicable personal data protection laws.
Your Personal Data Retention Period
We generally retain personal data for as long as reasonably needed for the specific business purpose or purposes for which it was collected and the duration of your use of our websites. In some cases, we may be required to retain information for a longer period of time based on laws or regulations that apply to our business. Where possible, we aim to anonymize the information or remove unnecessary identifiers from records that we may need to keep for periods beyond the original retention period. Once personal data is no longer necessary, we delete or anonymize it as soon as possible.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see Section titled “Privacy Notice for California Residents” for more information.
California residents may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see Section titled “Privacy Notice for California Residents” for more information.
Privacy Notice for California Residents
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household, or device (“personal information”).
In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from our consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
B. Personal informationcategories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code §1798.80(e)).
A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance Policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
C. Protected classification
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression,pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation,veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
D. Commercial information.
Records of personalproperty, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
E. Biometric information.
Genetic, physiological,behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as,fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke,gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.
F. Internet or othersimilar network activity.
Browsing history, search history,information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, oradvertisement.
G. Geolocation data.
Physical location ormovements.
H. Sensory data.
Audio, electronic, visual,thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
I. Professional oremployment-related information.
Current or past job historyor performance evaluations.
J. Non-public educationinformation (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C.Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).
Education records directlyrelated to a student maintained by an educational institution or party actingon its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules,student identification codes, student financial information, or studentdisciplinary records.
K. Inferences drawn from
Profile reflecting aperson's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions,behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Personal information does not include publicly available information from government records, deidentified or aggregated consumer information, and information excluded from the CCPA’s scope.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms or surveys you complete or products and services you purchase; and
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our Website.
Use of Personal Information
In addition to the other uses described in this Policy, we may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information;
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services;
- To process your requests;
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses;
- To personalize your Website experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests;
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Website, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business;
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Website, products, and services;
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations;
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA;
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets; and
- Whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our consumers is among the assets transferred.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category D: Commercial information.
Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
Category G: Geolocation data.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates;
- Service providers; and
- Third parties to whom you authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
Personal Information Sales
We do not sell personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Right to Know and Data Portability
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past twelve (12) months (the “right to know”). Once we receive your request and confirm your identity (see Section titled “Exercising Your Rights to Know or Delete”), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you;
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
We do not provide a right to know or data portability disclosure for B2B personal information.
Right to Delete
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions (the "right to delete"). Once we receive your request and confirm your identity (see Section titled “Exercising Your Rights to Know or Delete”), we will review your request to see if an exception allowing us to retain the information applies. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
We will delete or deidentify personal information not subject to one of these exceptions from our records and will direct our service providers to take similar action.
Exercising Your Rights to Know or Delete
To exercise your rights to know or delete described above, please submit a request through one of the following methods:
- Calling us at 888-348-3111
- Emailing us at email@example.com
- Mailing us at 1111 MacArthur Boulevard, Mahwah, New Jersey 07430
- Attn: Legal Department, Grand Seiko Corporation of America
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a request to know or delete related to your personal information. You may also make a request to know or delete on behalf of your child. You may only submit a request to know twice within a 12-month period. Your request to know or delete must:
• Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
• Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us, however, we do consider requests made through your password protected account sufficiently verified when the request relates to personal information associated with that specific account. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We will confirm receipt of your request within ten (10) business days. If you do not receive confirmation within the 10-day timeframe, please contact us using the contact methods listed above.
We endeavor to substantively respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Other California Privacy Rights
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not provide your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Please see the section titled “Privacy Notice for California Residents” for additional information applicable to California residents.
If you choose to make an online inquiry, we will collect your personal information including your email address, name, and address and use such information to respond to your inquiry. If you agree to the collection and use of your personal information, please read this Policy, check the consent box in the “Online Inquiries” section below, and click on the button. You will then be able to send us an email that is filled out with our email address for inquiries.
Please note that, depending on the nature of your inquiry, we may disclose your personal information to our affiliated operating company that is responsible for the relevant products or advertising so that the company can reply to your inquiry.
Grand Seiko Corporation of America – Personal Information Inquiries
Mailing: 1111 Macarthur Boulevard, Mahwah, New Jersey 07430
Attn: Legal Department, Grand Seiko Corporation of America
Available hours: 9:00～17:00 (except Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays)
Email Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
This policy was last updated on January 1, 2022.